The Chanyungco ancestral house on J.P. Rizal Street in Brgy. Sta. Elena (right across the Our Lady of the Abandoned Church and beside Kapitan Moy) was built in the late 1920’s by Tomas Chanyungco, one of the town’s first shoe traders, and his wife, Carmen Guevara, a relative of Don Laureano “Kapitan Moy” Guevara, the founder and father of the shoe industry in Marikina.
Originally from Binondo (once the center of commerce in the country and the oldest Chinatown in the world) in Manila, Tomas operated a small shoe factory in the cellar of this house and sold the shoes at his store in Gandara. The brand of his shoes and the name of the factory was called Obreros Mariqueños.
Tomas and Carmen had five sons namely Bernardino, Juan, Jose, Nicanor and Eloy. Their only daughter, Salud, died of tuberculosis in her adolescence. Juan and Eloy graduated from medical school at the University of Sto. Tomas and started their practice at this house. Juan served as Mayor of the town in 1938 to 1945 and in 1951 to 1955. The youngest, Dr. Eloy, eventually assumed ownership of the house.
Dr. Eloy’s wife, Simeona Florencio (daughter of violinist and composer Segundo Florencio), fondly called "Tia Nonang" also pursued her vocation – teaching – in this house. Tia Nonang held her lessons on folk dances in the sala at the second floor. Her most notable achievement was the discovery, research and reintroduction of “Balse Marikina” and “Lerion” that are now the official folk dances of Marikina.
Dr. Eloy, on the other hand, became a household name not only in Marikina but also in Montalban and Antipolo because he did house calls even during the Japanese occupation when the house was conscripted for officers’ quarters.
Chanyungco Ancestral House
J.P. Rizal Street, Brgy. Sta. Elena, Marikina City