The materials used to construct the house were said to come from drifting logs that were floating on the Marikina River from Rodriguez (formerly Montalban), Rizal. Indigenous tribes such as the Aetas used to gather wood from the river and sell it to the settlers. In 1890, Domingo Zamora (whose older brother Felipe Zamora was one of Dr. Jose Rizal’s co-propagandists in Madrid Spain) constructed a military headquarters and garrison in the guise of a residential house.
Domingo Zamora was the founder of the Iglesia Pilipina Independiente, whose origin was traced back to the struggle of the Filipino clergy against racial discrimination and friar domination within the Roman Catholic Church in the 19th Century. Eventually, the Iglesia Pilipina Independiente was turned into a nationalist crusade for the absolute Filipinization of the Church.
During the Second World War, Japanese soldiers used the house as their headquarters. The house survived the destruction and bombings during the Liberation of the American forces and was used as a relief center for the war victims, where rice and other staple food was distributed.
The ownership of the house was passed down to the side of Domingo Zamora’s wife who came from a family of physicians. The Santos family is the current residents of the house, of which a part is being used as a clinic.
Its architecture is an example of neo-classical “Bahay na Bato” with its use of pilaster, a classical architecture feature attached to the wall for decoration and support. Intricately designed carvings can be seen below the eaves of the roof. A notable feature of the house is the presence of a “tangka” or chimney at the back, considered revolutionary at that time. Its interiors are characterized by a high ceiling to allow natural ventilation.
Zamora Ancestral House
J.P. Rizal Street, Brgy. Sto. Niño, Marikina City